I still have at least one more month until winter is over and I am in the clear. So far I haven’t lost any hives but two are not looking great, So this year I decided to feed them 200cc of sugar water every 10 days to 14 days, I hope it’s enough.
Well it’s my birthday today, so why not do something interesting on your birthday
On Thursdays I generally check on the Hatada apiaries and today I noticed that the Perilla had started to take their dance of death and turn brown and honesty the stone terraces just weren’t looking good.
I knew this is gonna happen and had been putting off weeding that section of the apiary because I just don’t like weeding.
I had decided on only weeding around the beehives, but being a Mr. Can’t stop when he gets started ended up pulling all the Perilla.
Now next, I’ve just got to get rid of all the Madagascar ragwort around the hives.
You can’t really do much about the yellow hornet, traps don’t work. Luckily they don’t attack in numbers.
In less than four months, Following very wet rainy season (duh) the stone terraces have turned a brilliant green. At first I had no idea what this weed was and it turns out it’s a very common herb/spice used in Korean cuisine and known as wild sesame. It’s suppose to flower at the end of summer around September hopefully and is a good nectar source so I been told, I just hope the honey doesn’t smell like the leaves
Going going, almost gone!
Well it looks like hive number H20150522-01 known as Erika isn’t going to make it.
On top of the dwindling population, it seems that the workers have tried in vain to build new Queen cells. I actually don’t know if this hive is queenless and because of type of hive used here it is very hard, almost impossible the check if there currently is a queen.
That’s most probably the biggest downside to using the Jubako style hive.
So what can I do ?
I could try a number of things, but because I keep an endemic honeybee species I believe beekeeping for this species should as treatment free as possible.
After recovering from a 40.6C (105F) fever I decided it was time to harvest from the Fuku Cafe apiary.
From two hives I was about to harvest around 10kg* (22lbs) with a sugar content of 80.4% and an unusual dark color for spring honey
*10kg is a very good haul for Japanese honey bees. We average a little over 3.5kg (7.7lbs) per hive per year.
Not really sure what is happening here, I know this hive has been under attack and getting robbed from sunup to sundown, Even adding a reducer didn’t really help, Talk about a battle royal, So maybe it just hasn’t had time to create the base honeycomb and beef up it numbers. Hopefully that will change, Only time will tell.
There is something special about this village, Even though I only caught four swarms they are all doing well and exceeded my expectations and growing at an alarming rate.
An early harvest is looking very likely for at least one hive.
hopefully next year we can triple the amount of hives next year on once stone terraced flourishing mandarin groove.